Work is well underway on the refurbishment of 10-13 Cornmarket in Dublin 8. The HSE owned four storey over basement building is getting a complete refurbishment with many of the original features being restored to their former glory to provide for a new Communications Centre. The Design Team, led by Ciaran Savage of Van Dijk Architects, have worked tirelessly to ensure that each work element respects the buildings original grandeur.
Originally built to designs by McCurdy & Mitchell in 1877 as a department store and warehouse for drapers James H. Webb & Company, the building occupies a prominent corner site and is an important part of the streetscape of Thomas Street and Bridge Street Upper, sited beside the heart of the walled medieval city overlooking the 12th century St Audeon’s Church.
The 1,000 square metre refurbishment works comprise a full strip-out of the existing building back to the original walls, complete removal of mechanical and electrical installations, construction of new partitions, new floor, wall and ceiling finishes throughout, bespoke joinery and full new mechanical and electrical installations. The conservation works include the installation of calsitherm climate board faced with lime plaster.
External works include new roof finishes, new windows throughout, the reinstatement of original openings and the restoration of the dressed stone plinths.
The works are being led by Construction Director, Denis Lahart and are due for completion in May of 2017.